Forget, for a moment, about the national and local scandals which have brought shame and embarrassment upon Edinburgh. Ignore meantime the eyewatering amount of your money which is squandered. Surely this administration at least delivers basic services well?
Well no, actually. You probably won’t see this in any party political electioneering pamphlet but these are the sad facts on how we compare within 10 Scottish urban councils.
- 6th for home care clients receiving personal care
- 7th for home care hours for over 60s
- 7th for cost of refuse collection
- 7th for administration costs per benefit case
- 8th for percentage of municipal waste recycled
- 8th for over 65s evening/overnight home care service
- 8th for cost of collecting council tax
- 9th for response to domestic noise complaints
- 9th for attendance levels at leisure facilities
- 10th for the cleanliness of our streets
Are you thinking what I’m thinking — not good enough?
Statutory Performance Indicators on Basic Services Source: Annual Performance Report 2010/11 published by City of Edinburgh Council. Graph independently prepared (10 points for 1st place reducing to 1 point for last (10th) place)